A Study on Outcome of Pregnancy among Antenatal Mothers in Rural Field Practice Area of Vims Ballari, Ballari District, Karnataka

Chetana Singode, K Ramesh, T. Gangadhara Goud

Abstract


 Introduction: In spite of effective strategies, still the burden of maternal and infant mortality persists globally and in India. Although when compared to previous data the number is decreased, still the figures are on higher side. In view of the existing program prerogatives for sustaining development goals, the study was undertaken to assess the prevalence and adverse pregnancy outcomes in the rural field practice area of Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences (VIMS) Ballari. Methodology: The present study was carried out at primary health centres (PHC) Kudathini, the rural field practice area of VIMS, Ballari from October 2017 to March 2019. A total 286 pregnant mothers who registered themselves within 12 weeks of conception at PHC Kudathini were followed up with 5 follow-up visits. Results: The proportion of preterm delivery was seen in 4.8% of the mothers. In 30.1% of the study subjects, the mode of delivery was caesarean section. Episiotomy was done in 21.5% of normally delivered mothers. Among 97.5% of live born babies, majority of the new born, that is, 92.8% were healthy. Most of the new born were female, that is, 52% and remaining 48% were males. Conclusion: The proportion of low birth weight was seen in 5.7% of new born. The delay in the cry was seen in 2.2% of babies. The neonatal intensive care unit admission was required for 4.2% of the babies. Birth defect in new born was found to be 0.4%.

Keywords: Antenatal mothers, outcome, pregnancy


Full Text:

PDF




Indexed/Listed in:Follows recommendations by:   

Plagarism Check by

Creative Commons License
CopyrightNotice-AoCH

PKP
Contact
AoCH blog
AoCH official page