A Cross-sectional Study on the Sleep Quality among Type 2 Diabetes Patients Attending Tertiary Care Hospital in North Karnataka

Raniya Palliyedath, Jayaraj R Mhetri, Vinay Reddy Gottam

Abstract


Introduction: Diabetes is a chronic syndromic disorder that affects all organs of the human body. The World Health Organization predicts that about 30 crores of the population will be affected from Diabetes by 2025. India has one of the largest diabetic populations worldwide and it is expected to rise to 69.9 million by the year 2025. Poor sleep is a frequent complaint of patients of type 2 diabetes. The patients of type 2 diabetes face difficulty in initiating and also maintaining sleep, there is daytime sleepiness, and poor sleep quality has been reported by patients of type 2 diabetes. Aims and Objectives: This study was conducted with the objectives to assess the quality of sleep among diabetic patients. Materials and Methods: It is a cross-sectional descriptive study, which was undertaken at a tertiary care hospital. Patients attending the hospital for outpatient services were interviewed in their own language after obtaining the consent. Pittsburgh sleep quality index was used assess sleep quality. Statistical analysis was done using Microsoft Excel 2010 and SPSS 20.1 trial version. Chi-square test and Students t-test was used in the present study. Results: The mean age of good sleepers was 64.469.62 years and poor sleepers were 57.468.54 years, this difference of age was statistically significant. About 40% of the males and 35% of the females had a poor sleep, the gender difference of sleep quality was statistically significant, overall 75% of the patients were poor sleepers, patients with longer duration of the disease slept poorly and scored a mean score of 9.453.78 when compared to good sleepers the mean score was 4.752.35, this difference was also statistically significant.

Key words: Diabetes mellitus, PSQI, sleep quality


Full Text:

PDF




Indexed/Listed in:Follows recommendations by:   

Plagarism Check by

Creative Commons License
CopyrightNotice-AoCH

PKP
Contact
AoCH blog
AoCH official page